Friday, March 31, 2017

Girl vs. Women-language matters

I think it is very true that language can be very demeaning to a person’s status. This is demonstrated very well in the video through the use “girl” vs “women” type language. I see a direct parallel with language about men as well. I think of terms that people throw around to describe men. Terms such as: “kid”, “boy”, and “bud”. From my own experience, I absolutely hate it when someone older than me calls me bud. It implies that I am of a lesser status than them and it implies that I am less experienced and/or knowledgeable then they are. Terms like this are demeaning both intentionally and maybe even unintentionally. This is why we have to be careful with our choice of language. Each word in every language carries both denotation and connotation either of which can be offensive and/or demeaning to certain individuals or groups of people.   

No comments:

Post a Comment