This article was very interesting, in today’s society I have
found it to be true that people will stick to their guns even if they are proven
wrong. As the article puts it, trying to convince a misinformed person with
real-world facts is like “fighting a grease fire with water. It seems like it
should work, but it's actually going to make things worse”. We live in a time
where people are more outspoken and more opinionated than ever before. I have a
few guesses as to why that is, but I cannot be entirely sure. One thing I do
know, is that Confirmation Bias has become one of the biggest problems in today’s
political, social and economical world(s). People only look for “facts” that back
up their position. Take abortion for example, I can guarantee that nearly
everyone who is pro-choice could not give an accurate representation of the pro-life
argument/reasoning or vice versa. For whatever reason, people absorb information
that goes with the schemas they already have, and they block out any
information that goes against those pre-existing notions. This is probably why
no one can have a two-sided discussion on controversial topics like abortion.
Those “discussions” are more screaming matches than anything else and all that
ever happens is a stalemate on the argument. Personally, I believe facts are
facts, stats are stats and trends are trends. You can’t deny something that is
actually happening, no matter how much it goes against you and not matter how
much you don’t wan to.
No comments:
Post a Comment