Monday, January 23, 2017

Death Sentences

George Orwell once said "...if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought." I find this very idea demonstrated in today’s world when people use the word “love”. This may not be what people usually think of when they think of “irresponsible language”. Irresponsible language is usually defined as a word or phrase that in one way or another ultimately offends someone. I am not in any way offended by the word love, but in today’s society I have found that when people use the term they have no idea what they are actually saying. I find it irresponsible that people throw a word like love out like a beach ball at a “1975” concert. The word is used so often that people have become desensitized to just how much weight falls behind it. Just to be clear I’m not saying I hate it when people say something to the effect of “I love pizza” (let’s be honest who doesn’t??); however, I can’t stand it when people in a young relationship, such as one in high school, say they love each other after they have been dating for 2 weeks. Come on you guys are like 16 years old you don’t even know what that words mean yet! Love takes on a whole new meaning when it applies to a human being. I have seen cases like this this far too often in my own life and the lives of those close to me. That is just one example in a sea of misuses of the word. Sadly, people say things like this so often that the true meaning of the word love has, in a sense, been lost. Love is such a strong word, call me old fashioned but in my opinion when it is used correctly no word carries more power or brings people closer together than this word. So, next time you are thinking about using the word love, ask yourself: Do I love it? Or do I love the idea of it?  

No comments:

Post a Comment